Thursday, November 21, 2013

Hellboy:Comics

I'm into the fantasy genre and my illustration work consists of Mythological creatures for the most part. I really enjoy the superhero movies that come out every so often and always make time to watch them - although I've never read any of the comics with the only knowledge I know about the characters from my dad.  When the Hellboy movies came out, although I had never heard of the character before, since the series was based on mythology I thought I'd give it a look. The movies are among my favorite of any of the superhero movies that have been released over the years due to the fact that I find them unique in comparison.

Like I said before, I never looked into the superhero comics. Seeing the Hellboy comics among the course recourse page, I decided to give them a look. Suffocating from other schoolwork, I only had the time to read one of the comics: Hellboy: Savage Dragon (Of course, since it had the word "Dragon" in the title I felt obligated to read it first) I've heard before in illustration courses that the style of Hellboy comics is intriguing and I did indeed find it interesting. I found it funny that it contained a Natzi reference like that was shown in the first Hellboy movie - perhaps that something that occurs often in the comics? Of course, since I'm not fluent in the Hellboy fandom other than the movies, at times I found the narrative to be slightly difficult to understand (since I'm obviously not starting from the beginning).  After it became clear, I found it worthwhile and I'll be sure to read more when I have the time.

I found myself snickering at Savage Dragons anatomy - he looks so top heavy. lol

No comments:

Post a Comment