Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Manga and Anime.... the difference.

Not sure if this is relevant to material in class, but since we recently viewed and discussed some anime pieces I thought I'd note it down.

Ever since I started to see the art style all over Deviant Art, Movies, etc. and hearing both the terms "Anime" and "Manga associated with it - I was confused of the differences. According to Wiki answers, this is the difference:

Manga is a sort of comic that comes from Japan. It comes in small books and is run in certain magazines. Anime, on the other hand, is animated (thus the name) and runs on television in Japan. Both, of course, get imported to other countries.

Another way to know the difference between the two is that manga is on paper and anime is manga on television.

In short:
Manga = Japanese comics
Anime = Japanese animation

Upon reading this, I am still left with a question. With Mangas like Ghost in the Shell it was turned into an animated movie, series,etc. Is it now anime or still considered Manga? Ghost in the Shell is often refereed to as Manga even in its animated form. I recently also noticed a difference in the anime animation compared to Ghost in the Shell. I'm not a hardcore fan or either and I only watch a select few so I'm not sure how to explain the following. In known animes like Pokemon or one of the others that I previously viewed in class, in some scenes - things get really dramatic and way over exaggerated?  Such as the characters flipping out, their eyes becoming bigger than their head, etc. In Ghost in the Shell... this is not seen. No matter the age the animated feature is made for, there are these "moments". Is this another difference in Manga and Anime or am I just over-thinking and not understanding something?

No comments:

Post a Comment